airBaltic: establishes a multimodal logistics bridge between Kyiv and Riga

Through a partnership agreement with UkrPoshta, the official postal service of Ukraine, airBaltic has established a multimodal logistics bridge between Kyiv and Riga to enable mail delivery.

Mail is transported to Riga Airport (RIX) by truck, where it is loaded onto airBaltic flights to more than 70 destinations in Europe, the Middle East and Central Asia.

Since the first shipment on April 12, more than 7,000 mail bags weighing 50 tons have already been transported.

“We are doing everything we can to help the Ukrainian nation. As a result, a regular Kyiv-Riga truck line now feeds airBaltic’s flight network from Ukraine to major European hubs and beyond,” said Martin Gauss, CEO of the Latvian airline.

– Advertisement –

airBaltic operates a fleet of exclusively Airbus A220-300s (34 in total with an average age of 2.8 years), although last week it added a Ukraine International Airlines Boeing 737-900 on wet lease , also as a sign of support for Ukraine.

Before the Russian invasion, airBaltic operated fourteen weekly flights to Ukraine: ten between Riga and kyiv; two between Riga and Odessa; and two between Vilnius and Kyiv.

See also: airBaltic opens base in Finland with flights to seven European cities

About airBaltic

“The Latvian airline Air Baltic Corporation AS (airBaltic) was founded in 1995. Its main shareholder is the Latvian state, which owns 97.03% of the shares, while the rest of the shareholders own 2.97%. airBaltic is a hybrid airline incorporating the best practices of traditional airlines and low cost carriers.
In 2008, airBaltic changed its operating model from a point-to-point carrier to a network airline making Riga a connecting hub. The airline offers low-cost tickets in its network covering Europe, Scandinavia, CIS and the Middle East. Prices are competitive not only with other airlines, but also with prices for travel by bus, car, train or ferry. Tickets are available not only for direct flights but also for transfer flights”.

Comments are closed.